Total Ascent Values Exaggerated by 50% [Bug 29]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 67 series GPSr
Manu

Re: Total Ascent Values Exaggerated by 50% [Bug 29]

Unread post by Manu »

The problem of exaggerated total ascent values remains even with the new firmware 8.50

I made a short 4.5 km trip into the plains.

Map 66sr: 38m ascent 34m descent

Map 67i: 36m ascent 35m descent

Map 65s: 13m ascent 14m descent

Tactix 7: 14m Ascent 14m Descent

All devices were turned on 30 minutes before departure.

The factory altimeter settings and when the activity was turned on, all devices indicated the correct gps quota and current quota.

Spoiler
Il problema dei valori di ascesa totale esagerati permangono anche con il nuovo firmware.

Ho fatto una breve uscita di 4,5 km in pianura.

Map 66sr: 38m ascesa 34m discesa
Map 67i: 36m ascesa 35m discesa
Map 65s: 13m ascesa 14m discesa
Tactix 7: 14m ascesa 14m discesa

Tutti i dispositivi sono stati accesi 30 minuti prima della partenza.

Le impostazioni degli altimetri quelle di fabbrica e all’accensione dell’attività tutti i dispositivi indicavano quota gps e quota corrente corrette.
Nail

Unread post by Nail »

Manu wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 5:39 am The problem of exaggerated total ascent values remains even with the new firmware 8.50

I made a short 4.5 km trip into the plains.

Map 66sr: 38m ascent 34m descent

Map 67i: 36m ascent 35m descent

Map 65s: 13m ascent 14m descent

Tactix 7: 14m Ascent 14m Descent

All devices were turned on 30 minutes before departure.

The factory altimeter settings and when the activity was turned on, all devices indicated the correct gps quota and current quota.
What result do you get by deleting 1 track point in BaseCamp or deleting stats in notepad?
GPSMAP 67, GPSMAP 66sr
Manu

Unread post by Manu »

Nail wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 1:42 pm What result do you get by deleting 1 track point in BaseCamp or deleting stats in notepad?

I eliminated the first and last point in Basecamp.. but almost nothing has changed.

I haven't tried with Notepad.

But the issue is that the Map 66sr and Map 67 devices do not show the correct ascent/descent values during their use.

It is during an activity that I consult the device; not afterwards at home.

For some time now for the important laps I have been carrying with me the Map 65s and the Tactix 7.

These two devices are reliable with regard to ascent/descent data..

I was just wondering if anyone can try a few flat laps with Map 66sr or Map 67 to see if the same behaviors occur.
Spoiler
Ho eliminato il primo e l’ultimo punto in Basecamp.. ma non è cambiato quasi nulla.

Con Blocco Note non ho provato.

Ma la questione è che i dispositivi Map 66sr e Map 67 non mostrano i valori corretti di ascesa/descent durante il loro uso.
È durante un’attività che consulto il dispositivo; non dopo a casa.

Ormai da tempo per i giri importanti porto con me il Map 65s e il Tactix 7.
Questi due dispositivi sono affidabili per quanto riguarda i dati di ascesa/descent..

Mi chiedevo solamente se qualcuno può provare qualche giro in piano con Map 66sr o Map 67 per vedere se si verificano gli stessi comportamenti.
JungleJim

Unread post by JungleJim »

Manu wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:49 am But the issue is that the Map 66sr and Map 67 devices do not show the correct ascent/descent values during their use.

It is during an activity that I consult the device; not afterwards at home.
Well actually the GPSMAP writes the total ascent and descent of an activity in the FIT and GPX file. If you open the activity in Basecamp, the program shows this summary value. By removing one or more points from the activity, Basecamp will recalculate the total ascent based on the elevation recorded with the track points.
Manu wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:49 am I was just wondering if anyone can try a few flat laps with Map 66sr or Map 67 to see if the same behaviors occur.
I suggest reading through this thread, there are many reports on total ascent value. My reports here are mostly based on flat terrain and a GPSMAP 67.
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520
Manu

Unread post by Manu »

Thank you for your reply, I have read the whole discussion.

I understand that several users have this problem with Map 67 and that Garmin has not proposed a solution via firmware.

Garmin already has devices that correctly display the total ascent/descent data during activities.

So a solution would definitely be possible.

My opinion is that the data should be correct when shown in the device data fields

Spoiler

Ti ringrazio per la risposta, ho letto tutta la discussione.

Mi sembra di capire che diversi utenti abbiano questo problema con Map 67 e che non sia stata proposta da Garmin un soluzione tramite firmware.

Garmin ha già dispositivi che mostrano correttamente I dati di ascesa/discesa totali durante le attività.
Quindi una soluzione sarebbe sicuramente possibile.

La mia opinione è che i dati dovrebbero essere corretti quando mostrati nei campi dati del dispositivo
Nail

Unread post by Nail »

Manu wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 11:32 am
I understand that several users have this problem with Map 67 and that Garmin has not proposed a solution via firmware.
Knowing that many people have the same problem is not enough.
Garmin must be aware of this.
Have you reported your problem to Garmin?
GPSMAP 67, GPSMAP 66sr
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Just completed another test with a GPSMAP 67 v850.

After travelling 114 miles/5.5 hours;
  • the total ascent reported (in BaseCamp) was 3051 ft, and total descent was 2990 ft.
  • the total ascent reported on the GPSMAP 67 was 3053 ft, and total descent was 2990 ft.
After removing the statistical data from the GPX tracklog, BaseCamp reported 3165 ft of total ascent and 3098 ft total descent.

I am not horribly worried about 100 ft of variance over 114 miles and 5.5 hours of travel.
GPSMAP 67 Screens
161.bmp
164.bmp
173.bmp
189.bmp
318.bmp
19852.bmp
19859.bmp
19883.bmp
19950.bmp
BaseCamp Data
240526 - BaseCamp Data Compare.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Manu

Unread post by Manu »

wrote:
After travelling 114 miles/5.5 hours;

Was this long distance covered by a means of transport?

Car, truck or 4x4?

In this case the 67 has no problems ..

If you take a bike or walk it's a disaster ..

That's the problem!

The 66 and 67 record the continuous changes in pressure and make a continuous addition in the ascent and descent data fields..

Today the 67 added me 4 meters of climb while I was walking downhill !!

I can't think of having to wait for the return home, turn on the PC and check the correct ascent and descent data..

My watches and the 65s do this calculation correctly..

Spoiler
Questa lunga distanza è stata percorsa con un mezzo di trasporto?
Auto, camion o 4x4?

In questo caso il 67 non ha problemi..

Se fate un giro in bicicletta oppure a piedi è un disastro..
Questo è il problema!

I 66 e i 67 registrano i continui cambi di pressione e fanno una continua addizione nei campi dati di ascesa e discesa..
Oggi il 67 mi ha addizionato 4 metri di salita mentre stavo procedendo a piedi in discesa!!

Non posso pensare di dover attendere il ritorno a casa, accendere il PC e verificare i corretti dati di ascesa e discesa..

I miei orologi e il 65s fanno correttamente questo calcolo..
Manu

Unread post by Manu »

Nail wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 9:39 pm
Have you reported your problem to Garmin?
Unfortunately, I haven't spoken to Garmin support but I should do it..

Thank you for your interest

Spoiler
Purtroppo non ho parlato con l’assistenza Garmin ma dovrei farlo..

Grazie per il tuo interessamento
Przekątny

Unread post by Przekątny »

Manu wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 11:14 pm I can't think of having to wait for the return home, turn on the PC and check the correct ascent and descent data..
Last December I covered,
Spoiler
that the cause of overestimation of ascents and descents is not incorrect data recording by the device,
the direct reason is an incorrect entry in the statistics sequence created by the device software.

Five months have passed, the thread has grown to over two hundred pages, there have been various suggestions,
from incorrect calibration, the sum of minimal fluctuations in the barometer readings
I cannot explain what causes the incorrect entry in TrackStatsExtension, especially since it is unpredictable and inexplicable.

Full agreement as to the fact that the device should work properly, it should display correct data, should be available without processing in other devices, but you will not convince me that Ascent and Descent information is a significant and necessary navigation information during hiking, especially since they are already archival information .

When hiking, even the height above sea level is not that important to me, I am more interested in the relative elevation.
Of course, knowing the minimum height and max highness, you can easily calculate the relative height.

Ascent and Descent data is analytical information of registered tracks, you can compare a route of different distances and reasons why you needed a longer journey time.

Return to “GPSMAP 67”