Foretrex 801 + eTrex SE Basemap?

Discussion related to Garmin Foretrex 801/901 series GPSr models
plimbo

Foretrex 801 + eTrex SE Basemap?

Unread post by plimbo »

Hello, I have a Foretrex 801. I am very happy with it. Is there any way I can load it with the base map from Etrex se.
kot7OpHyd

Re: Foretrex 801 + eTrex SE Basemap?

Unread post by kot7OpHyd »

I don't know if the Foretrex 801 has support for any maps, even the very basic basemap of an eTrex SE. You aren't missing much by not having the basemap from the eTrex SE. It only has cities, and perhaps low resolution country borders.

These devices are mainly about showing tracks ("Courses") and following along them, and recording track logs ("Activities"). They have no routing, show no map detail. They do have very good battery life, high contrast visible screens, and show a lot of data about the activity in the tracking pages (~ trip computer).

If you want to see cities, you can import them as waypoints using a GPX file and have a similar use of them as on the eTrex SE. But honestly, the basemap on the eTrex SE seems useless to me. Typically, the holder already knows which city they are in and they generate tracks to navigate using mapping tools, and are usually aware of the general area and shape of the track. If the user is lost or can't progress along a track, the best that can be done is follow another track, or follow back the recorded track (track back).
plimbo

Unread post by plimbo »

Yes, you're right. In that sense, it's pointless. I use Oruxmaps with a Strava hiking layer for route planning. Thus a straight route through places where there is no path on the map. Then I just show the route on the map and follow it. Characteristically, the Foretrex 801 can store 500 waypoints. If I import a gpx with more waypoints will they count as part of those 500 waypoints?
kot7OpHyd

Unread post by kot7OpHyd »

plimbo wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:23 pm If I import a gpx with more waypoints will they count as part of those 500 waypoints?
You will have to try it on your device. For the eTrex SE at least, the specification differs from what Garmin support replied to as actual limits. There also appears to be a difference in limits between GPX files placed in the "NewFiles" directory vs. GPX files placed in the "GPX" directory. Best is to test the limits of your device yourself.
plimbo

Unread post by plimbo »

I tried the following. I made a gph file with about 900 waterfalls. I put it in the folder /Garmin/gpx. After starting the device, I waited at least 1 min. I decided to wipe them. I decided to wipe them. I removed the gph file but they remained on the drive. I wiped them off the device itself. When I scrubbed it said I would free 30% of waypoint memory.

Return to “Foretrex 801/901”