How to stop the GPSMAP 66s updating

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
THE_Chris

How to stop the GPSMAP 66s updating

Unread post by THE_Chris »

Hi all,

So the two latest versions of the software, v7.6 and v9.6 both brick my GPSr. It won't get any further than the launch screen and can't be switched off without pulling the battery.

This is annoying, but for now I'm happy to stick with an old version by forcing its install. I've done it before to move from v7.6 down to v7.2 via my laptop.

However, the GPS downloads updates automatically via bluetooth (wifi is off and I don't let basecamp update). It places the update file automatically into the usual folder and tries to update on the next boot. Of course, I can say no to that, but if I am on holiday for a week, and I accidentally press YES, then I have a bricked GPSR until I can get at my laptop, which will likely be at home.

Is there any easy way to stop it updating itself? Could a fake update file do the trick or would that just make it worse? Is there a "NEVER download updates" option hidden somewhere, or is there a solution in Garmin Connect somewhere?

Thanks a million.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: How to stop the GPSMAP 66s updating

Unread post by GPSrChive »

I am not aware of any methods to successfully inhibit automatic device updates other than never connecting to the internet vi Wi-Fi or Bluetooth.

Maybe someone else will have a better option.

Or,

You could remove all your personal info from the device, reset to factory, update, then reload your personal data.....
asprin624

Unread post by asprin624 »

I avoid using WIFI or Bluetooth when it comes to any and all updates.

You have better control using Garmin Express on a PC or Laptop.
I saw the update to 9.60 but did not update till I came back from Spain.
Did not want to run into any hiccups using a new update.
Stayed with 7.60 till I got back.

Did the update and now I can test it locally near my home if I run into any problems.
THE_Chris

Unread post by THE_Chris »

Thanks. I'll keep Bluetooth and Wifi off for now, seems to be the only way. I'll only ever need it for a GC Live Download occasionally.

I forced back to 7.2 and all is working again. Unfortunately it did a factory reset as part of it, losing all of my settings and waypoints.

Lucky I back up the waypoints weekly! And the profile settings I could restore from backup too. Anything else is simple enough.
g66

Unread post by g66 »

there is a trick - you install a version, you like and change the internal version number of the file.
so you always have a newer version than the released one
no updates
DDM

Unread post by DDM »

Does anyone at Garmin realises that we have paid a lot of money for that kind of sh.. software?
The solution: "do not install new versions". An other solution "do not buy garmin anymore".
Александр

Unread post by Александр »

g66 wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:39 pm there is a trick - you install a version, you like and change the internal version number of the file.
no updates
Great idea.
How to do it?
Thank you.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Александр wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:27 pm
g66 wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:39 pm there is a trick - you install a version, you like and change the internal version number of the file.
no updates
Great idea.
How to do it?
Thank you.
Not to be discussed here.
asprin624

Unread post by asprin624 »

Very good point gpsrchive.......
Not to be discussed here.
Александр