Different satellite management.

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 67 series GPSr
mimichris

Different satellite management.

Unread post by mimichris »

Two images of the 66sr and the 67 where we see that the management of the Galileo satellites is totally different.
Spoiler
20230513_095722.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Different satellite management.

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Let's revisit this subject after the next firmware update ;)
JungleJim

Unread post by JungleJim »

Ooh, the suspense is killing me :P
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520
GPSrChive
Site Admin

JungleJim wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 7:42 pm Ooh, the suspense is killing me :P
Just for fun, I took some screen captures from several devices after they all collected satellite data for about 30 minutes:
Multi-Device Galileo Test
Garmin GNSS Test 230513 v2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Przekątny

Unread post by Przekątny »

GPSrChive wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 9:28 pm
JungleJim wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 7:42 pm Ooh, the suspense is killing me :P
Just for fun, I took some screen captures from several devices after they all collected satellite data for about 30 minutes:
Multi-Device Galileo Test
Garmin GNSS Test 230513 v2.png
I will refer to the picture from the Gpsmap 66s device, in my opinion the satellite signal has disappeared,
the signal from three satellites does not give a basis for determining the position,
and even more so for determining the height above sea level.

Early on, the signal had to be of higher quality.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Przekątny wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:10 am I will refer to the picture from the Gpsmap 66s device, ..... Early on, the signal had to be of higher quality.
That is what our 66s displayed after being in direct sky view for more than 30 minutes.
Przekątny

OK. That was just my observation.

I also want to point out that the devices show a different value of GPS or GNNS indications 8 ft, 17 ft and 6 ft in the case of Gpsmap 66sr and Gpsmap 67 devices, the signal indicator bars are different.

The coordinates show that all devices point to a point the same distance away from where it was located
devices, i.e. Gpsmap 66sr and gpsmap 67 do not indicate a more accurate position than devices that show a higher
gps indicator and their pointers show weaker satellite signal.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Przekątny wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:40 pm I also want to point out that the devices show a different value of GPS or GNNS indications 8 ft, 17 ft and 6 ft in the case of Gpsmap 66sr and Gpsmap 67 devices, the signal indicator bars are different.
The GPSMAP 67 is also tracking one additional GNSS Constellation compared to the GPSMAP 66sr.
Przekątny wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:40 pm The coordinates show that all devices point to a point the same distance away from where it was located
devices, i.e. Gpsmap 66sr and gpsmap 67 do not indicate a more accurate position than devices that show a higher
gps indicator and their pointers show weaker satellite signal.
The displayed coordinates have been edited for privacy purposes, and should not be considered for this exercise.

I believe the original post author was more concerned about the 66sr displaying more Galileo satellites than the 67. The images shared show a different result for these two devices, and provide additional reference comapred to multiple other devices.
Przekątny

I was convinced that it was unlikely that four devices would point to exactly the same position,
but I didn't want to question it so directly.
MarkHL

Unread post by MarkHL »

Przekątny wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 3:02 pm I was convinced that it was unlikely that four devices would point to exactly the same position,
but I didn't want to question it so directly.
... and it hundreds of miles east of Hawaii in the Pacific Ocean. The original posts accuracy was close enough you see the solar panels on his roof. Probably a good reason to hide/edit your location in posts if it's your residence.

Return to “GPSMAP 67”