New GPS handheld?

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 67 series GPSr
neilwoody

New GPS handheld?

Unread post by neilwoody »

As the 2023 holiday season approaches, there is some speculation about whether Garmin will release a new handheld GPS. The GPSMAP 67 was just introduced last March. Reports indicate that the GPSMAP 66SR and the 67 are capable of more precise positioning than 6 feet using the proper surveying software. Is there a need for more accurate software? Are there additional features that GPS handheld users would like to see in either a new GPS receiver or upgraded software/firmware for the 67? Will Garmin focus its future GPS innovation more on watch development and less on handhelds?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: New GPS handheld?

Unread post by GPSrChive »

neilwoody wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:22 am Will Garmin focus its future GPS innovation more on watch development and less on handhelds?
This has already come to fruition. Garmin currently offers the smallest selection of handheld devices in decades while new watches are announced almost weekly. Their outdoor handheld device model line-up still has huge holes in it, for example nothing available to replace the Oregon series that was discontinued more than a couple years ago now.

I have one of their more capable watches, and it doesn't come close to replacing my handheld devices. I can see how watches might be preferred for some outdoor activities like running, but if you are a cyclist, you will still want a dedicated bicycle device, and for hiking and/or off road exploring, their watches can not compete with dedicated handheld devices. If you are an active geocacher, no watch supports this activity. If you spend any time on the water, you will want one of their dedicated marine units.
neilwoody

In my opinion, a GPS watch does not provide a sufficient display area or enough navigation information and functionality for off-trail wilderness travel. My GPSMAP 67 used with Expert GPS software offers an ample display area and navigation functions to easily navigate in the backcountry. The 67 can display the latest USGS topographic maps with enough detail for the most complex route. That said, I always carry a paper map and high end compass.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

More towards the original question, I still want to see an Oregon series replacement, or a compact touchscreen device similar to the previous Oregon 7x0. This was still my favorite form factor, and the Oregon 7x0 has always been the best bang for the buck, in my opinion. An updated version with Multi-GNSS and Multi-Band seems like an obvious choice to fill the gap between the tiny eTrex x2x and the very large Montana 7x0. At one point, it could be argued that the eTrex Touch temporarily filled this void, but it is also discontinued, and was never as capable as the Oregon 7x0.

I had expected the next gen Oregon might share hardware with the Alpha 200 series, which would have included a user replaceable 2000mAh internal lithium battery and a slightly larger display. I would like to see both of these features in any future replacement for the Oregon series. If they could fit the 3100mAh battery used by many other devices along with similar battery life, that would be OK also. So many users like to be able to carry replacement batteries, I suspect the 2000mAh replaceable battery would be the more popular request.
neilwoody

Those are very viable options for Garmin handheld product development. I am very pleased with my GPSMAP 67 with the latest firmware. I use the custom map option to upload scaleable USGS maps and Expert GPS to create waypoints and routes. I only wish that my favorite GPS software Topofusion would be updated to support the GPSMAP 67.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

We also have a TopoFusion Pro license, but we rarely use it...
Gadwin

Unread post by Gadwin »

I hope if Garmin releases a new handheld, they will respect the new EU law, which unfortunately comes into force not until 2027: Almost every electrical device have to have an removable battery.
mimichris

Unread post by mimichris »

While waiting for this date, this battery is easy to change, the same as on the 66sr. You can find them at Amazon.
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.
neilwoody

Assuming that the GPSMAP 67's battery is the same as the GPSMAP 66SR, there is a German video, easily translated, that shows how to replace the battery. That said, I think it will be a very long length of time before the 67's battery is no longer rechargeable. I use my Topofusion software to create Garmin kmz files of USGS topographic maps which I paste into the 67's custom map file.
RickN55

Unread post by RickN55 »

neilwoody wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:51 am Assuming that the GPSMAP 67's battery is the same as the GPSMAP 66SR, there is a German video, easily translated, that shows how to replace the battery. That said, I think it will be a very long length of time before the 67's battery is no longer rechargeable. I use my Topofusion software to create Garmin kmz files of USGS topographic maps which I paste into the 67's custom map file.
I agree, with how long the battery lasts in the 67 you're talking 40-50 plus days a charge with everything turned on. Handheld GPS devices aren't used every day like phones and spend a large chunk of life in a drawer somewhere so when you take into account that and how long a charge lasts and how little the device will need charging over the years the battery will last ages.

I have a Garmin Drivesmart 55, I've had it since 2020 and done 28000 miles of driving on it and it gets used a couple of times a week for a few hours a time, the battery will still happily last a good hour the same as when it was new. I know it's a totally different device but just using it as a yard stick to show how good Garmin batteries are. Even my Nuvi55 from 2014 still holds charge and works for about 30 mins without being plugged in and that's nearly 10 years old and been used for 24000miles of driving.
GPSMAP 67, GPSMAP 65s (sold), GPSMAP 64s (sold), GPSMAP 62s, GPSMAP 60CSx, Edge 1040, Fenix 6x Pro (sold), Epix Gen2 Pro Sapphire 51mm.

Return to “GPSMAP 67”