Recorded Activities Map Tab Crash

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 67 series GPSr
Exit106

Recorded Activities Map Tab Crash

Unread post by Exit106 »

New to the world of the 67i. So wondering about this behaviour.

In Recorded Activities page or Trackback (in Recording Controls page), pressing the Menu button while in the map section of the track will cause the 67i to crash and it will reboot on its own. This is defiantly not normal.

This does not happen in the Saved Tracks page.

Am I the only one to encounter this. What could be the problem and the solution?

thx
JungleJim

Re: Recorded Activities Map Tab Crash

Unread post by JungleJim »

Yes there are unfortunately some crash issues when pressing Menu on a Map screen. There are a couple of topics posts on this forum about it: this one and this one. It seems to depend on how the device is configured, for example I was able to reproduce the issue only when I have a Dashboard with Small Data Fields enabled on the Map page.

Best to report your issue to Garmin, I have good experience with contacting them via Garmin US Chat instead of sending an email to
Garmin Support
When you go to the Garmin support page for the GPSMAP 67i and then select the option to chat, you (usually) get someone with knowledge of the device.
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520
Exit106

Unread post by Exit106 »

Thx for the reply JungleJim,

So yes, I'm not the only one with this issue, although my issue doesn't involve GCs but more like your post with Dashboard invoke in the maps menu. Like you I'm a bit stressed of taking the unit in the field right now. Will take along my old, but trusted, 78s with my 67i until we figure a way out of this.

Hoping it issue will be resolved rapidly.
Navigatorman

Unread post by Navigatorman »

Yes the problem is due to the some dashboards being enabled or even hidden on the map screen when enabled, then pressing the menu button. I also found and reported crashing issues with the Find button under those conditions. I opened a ticket with Garmin in late November, even submitted my debug files. I could just sit in a chair and play with my 67i and spot odd peculiar operational things so I actually bought a second unit and played with it to confirm my observations wondering if I had a hardware problem in mine. Under all circumstances I could get them to perform identically when configured the same, but I have also seen things I can’t duplicate but fortunately they are vary rare. The Garmin rep told me that her device and her colleagues devices hardly ever crashed, but both of mine did it every single time. Configuration is key to people experiencing the same issues. This unit still has a few bugs, under some key entry procedures it takes a long time to think if you press the keys too fast, it will hesitate for the final display, but if you do the same key entry procedure slowly there is no hesitation at the end. Hopefully Garmin can iron out the problems before they move onto the next unit as this could be a really good device if it gets the bugs fixed. The unit I eventually kept worked identically to the one I returned except there was a barely noticeable difference in panning the map upwards.
JungleJim

Unread post by JungleJim »

I asked Garmin for an update on my bug report for this crash issue, and the response was that they have identified the issue and fixed it in an upcoming update. No specific release date, but hopefully in January, according to the support rep. So fingers crossed!
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520

Return to “GPSMAP 67”