Garmin expands its Tread series, offering ultimate all-terrain navigation and worldwide communication to overlanders and powersports enthusiasts
Tuesday, 4 January 2022, 6:00 am CST
Heavy-duty Tread SxS and Overland Editions feature inReach satellite communication, group tracking and off-road trail routing
OLATHE, Kan./January 4, 2022/Business Wire – Garmin International Inc., a unit of Garmin Ltd. (NYSE: GRMN), today announced a new trio of rugged,
weather-resistant1 devices in its popular Tread series – the 10-inch Tread XL Overland Edition, the 8-inch Tread Overland Edition and the 8-inch Tread SxS Edition.
This new expansion for the Tread series is purpose built for powersports enthusiasts seeking adventurous rides off the beaten path and for overlanders planning to take
their rigs off-the-grid for long expeditions. Each new Tread offers a glove-friendly touchscreen, new turn-by-turn trail navigation2 to explore unpaved roads and discover
new trails, built-in inReach technology3 for global satellite communication and group tracking options to stay in contact with friends.
“We’re excited to offer overlanding and off-roading enthusiasts the best of both worlds with these new additions to our rugged Tread lineup,” said Dan Bartel, Garmin vice
president of global consumer sales. “Adventure seekers and off-roaders now have the freedom to explore and put their minds at ease thanks to built-in inReach communication
so you can always be in touch no matter where your adventure takes you, plus the brand new trail routing and group ride features can help you stay connected with friends in
more remote areas.”
Tread XL Overland and Tread Overland Editions
Available in vibrant 10-inch and 8-inch displays, the durable Tread Overland editions help augment every detail and waypoint along the way, with an extensive feature set
to enhance any off-road vehicle expedition:
- Turn-by-turn trail navigation for unpaved roads and trails using Adventure Roads and Trails map content comprised of OpenStreetMap (OSM) and US Forest Service (USFS) Motor Vehicle Use Maps
- Stay in touch from anywhere with built-in inReach technology for global satellite communication, two-way text messaging, location sharing, and interactive SOS (requires an active subscription)
- Track friends on a compatible smartphone or Tread device when the user and other riders in a group use the Tread app’s Group Ride Mobile feature
- Includes topography with 3D maps, iOverlander points of interest and Ultimate Public Campgrounds to seek well-established, wild and dispersed campsites
- U.S. public and private landowner information
- Subscription-free Birdseye Satellite Imagery
- Custom street routing4 for the size and weight of a rig
- Use the Tread app on a smartphone to plan routes with the same maps, vehicle profiles and route preferences available on the Tread device
- Works with other off-road devices including Garmin’s Group Ride Radio featuring a push-to-talk fist mic
- Take advantage of the Garmin PowerSwitch digital switch box to centralize control over a vehicle’s 12-volt accessories from the Tread device
- With select Garmin GPS dog trackers customers can navigate and track dogs from a vehicle
The new Garmin Tread XL Overland Edition was selected as a CES 2022 Innovation Awards honoree and will be showcased in the Garmin booth #3643 at this year’s
Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas, Jan. 5-8.
Tread SxS Edition
For side-by-side enthusiasts, the 8-inch Tread SxS Edition incorporates all the navigational features found across the Tread series and includes Group Ride Radio
with the push-to-talk fist mic so off-roaders can stay in communication with other Tread-equipped friends in the wilderness. In addition, this new powersport device
is uniquely rugged and forged to military grade drop test standards to withstand rough rides on more challenging terrain.
Available now, the new Garmin Tread XL Overland Edition, Tread Overland Edition and Tread SxS Edition devices have suggested retail prices starting at $1,299.99 to $1,499.99.
To learn more about these off-road products and the entire Tread series, visit garmin.com/tread.
1 Water rating IP67.
2 Limitations may exist in map data for some road and trail route suggestions. Always defer to all posted road signs and conditions during vehicle operation. Garmin
products using OpenStreetMap data are intended to be used only as supplementary travel aids.
3 Active satellite subscription required for the inReach features. Some jurisdictions regulate or prohibit the use of satellite communication devices. It is your
responsibility to know and follow all applicable laws in the jurisdictions where the device is intended to be used.
4 Not available in all areas. Entering your vehicle’s profile characteristics does not guarantee your vehicle’s characteristics will be accounted for in all route
suggestions. Always defer to all posted road signs and road conditions.