Some geocache problems

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 67 series GPSr
GSB

Some geocache problems

Post by GSB »

When I sync a list, the list will be loaded less then 100% and some caches or descriptions are missing. Any ideas?

I synced an event list, but an event from another country does‘t appear. When I load it by its code, than I can see the cache, when I go back to the list, I can‘t see it any more. (no filter). Why?

In the filter menu under the smiley (found/dnf) I can select live data lists. There are one ore more empty entries with a not working button. How can I delete them?

When I delete all live data and sync a new list, the old entries appears again. Any help?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Some geocache problems

Post by GPSrChive »

GSB wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:28 pm 1.
When I sync a list, the list will be loaded less then 100% and some caches or descriptions are missing. Any ideas?
Are you certain the device was connected to the internet long enough to load the full list? Does the GPSMAP 67 indicate the list was loaded fully?

GSB wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:28 pm 2.
I synced an event list, but an event from another country does‘t appear. When I load it by its code, than I can see the cache, when I go back to the list, I can‘t see it any more. (no filter). Why?
When viewing the 'Geocache List' on the GPSMAP 67 (or any other Garmin handheld GPSr), "Only the nearest 1000 geocaches within a radius of approximately 100 miles from your present location will be displayed."

See GPSrChive > GPSMAP 67 > Pages > Geocaching for details.

GSB wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:28 pm 3.
In the filter menu under the smiley (found/dnf) I can select live data lists. There are one ore more empty entries with a not working button. How can I delete them?
Can you share a screen capture of what you are seeing?

You may need top remove all Live Data from the device and see if these ghost entries are still present. If yes, then delete the SQL directory from your GPSMAP 67 and reboot so it can rebuild the internal database again.

GSB wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:28 pm 4.
When I delete all live data and sync a new list, the old entries appears again. Any help?
Also, delete the SQL directory from your GPSMAP 67 and reboot so it can rebuild the internal database again.
GSB

Post by GSB »

Somtimes the geocache lists are loaded f.e. 17% or 96% and stops or nothing happened.

Okay, that’s new for me. Can I see the loaded caches in the list, when I arrive the place of the cache? Is it loaded but not visible or not loaded?

When I remove all Live Data the ghost entries are still present, when I delete the SQL directory the ghost entries are gone, but the next time I delete again a loaded list, I can see again ghost entries.

How can I load up a foto/video. I only get 2x img in angles. But how can I select a foto of my library?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Post by GPSrChive »

GSB wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:12 pm 1.
Somtimes the geocache lists are loaded f.e. 17% or 96% and stops or nothing happened.
Sounds like the lists never completed so the data will not be available.

See GPSrChive > GPSMAP 67 > Pages > Geocaching > PQ List Download for additional details.

GSB wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:12 pm 2.
Okay, that’s new for me. Can I see the loaded caches in the list, when I arrive the place of the cache? Is it loaded but not visible or not loaded?
Please see my previous response:
GPSrChive wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:16 pm When viewing the 'Geocache List' on the GPSMAP 67 (or any other Garmin handheld GPSr), "Only the nearest 1000 geocaches within a radius of approximately 100 miles from your present location will be displayed."

See GPSrChive > GPSMAP 67 > Pages > Geocaching for details.

GSB wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:12 pm 3
When I remove all Live Data the ghost entries are still present, when I delete the SQL directory the ghost entries are gone, but the next time I delete again a loaded list, I can see again ghost entries.
Remind us which firmware version is loaded, and consider performing a hard reset of the device. You will have to reconfigure all options etc. again, so this is not a quick fix.

GSB wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:12 pm How can I load up a foto/video. I only get 2x img in angles. But how can I select a foto of my library?
See GPSrChive > GPSMAP 67 > Setup > Display > Screen Capture for details.

Then please also see the forum guidelines for posting screen captures.

;)
GSB

Post by GSB »

My question was, how can I put a foto into this chat
GSB

Post by GSB »

My ghoast entrie

*** edited to comply with forum guidelines ***

Spoiler
IMG_9240.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GSB

Post by GSB »

Which kind of reset do you mean?
„Reset All Settings“ or master hard reset
Or is it the same an the hard reset is only needed if no reset over the software is possible?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Post by GPSrChive »

Hard reset returns device to factory new status. This can fix a lot of issues, but requires setting the device up from the beginning again.
MikeD

Post by MikeD »

I am joining this thread as I am having similar issues
I have a new 67 on v5.30
I got some of it to work some of the time
Is it worth me describing my efforts and tests ? or wait and hope Garmin will fix?
I am a bit loathe to do a hard reset, done it so many times recently on my just passed over 66ST!
I will if there is s glimmer of hope
Mike
MikeD

Post by MikeD »

Following my earlier post and finding "ghost files" after apparently deleting all live download data I did a reset.
Problems were not cured and as recommended I have written to Garmin support with the List GPX file , FIT & XML as follows:
I am having great difficulty with the live download feature in my new device which I have had for about a month.
However, If I load pocket query/ Lists GPX files to the device via a PC it works fine.
I did a hard reset on the device today and it is still showing the same problems as before the reset
If I attempt to download a geocaching list it will not complete the task. The download/sync may go to anything between 25 and 80% and stop.
I have tried procedure many times, the results of the same.
It is the same result using either Wi-Fi or Bluetooth through my iPhone
If I try and delete the live download it sometimes will not allow me to do it , using the option specific to that geocaching list.
I have to go to the” delete all live downloads” options.
Today after the reset an even worse manifestation has happened.
After going through the delete all downloads option then rebooting the device, I find when looking at the map some of the partially downloaded geocaches are still appearing on the map.
This is after I received confirmation that all live downloads had been deleted.
I do not know how to find any” live downloaded “information by looking in the file structure via my PC. ( I am familiar with these devices having had all previous iterations of the GPSMAP series)
Having been in touch with the GPSrChive forum for this device I understand I'm not alone in encountering these issues
I attach a copy of the geocaching list GPX file I tried to download. It is called Clerkenwell, an area in London. There are 83 caches listed and this is the one that has not worked.
I had tried to download another one at the same time but have not attached that, the issue is the same
I also attach the XML file for the device. It was all reset today although I have tried this procedure above since the reset.
I also attach the FIT file should it be of any use.
I would appreciate an early response telling me how to remove these "ghost files" which are in the device and showing on the map. I cannot see them anywhere stored in the device.
Another phenomenon I wish to report is that when accessing the geocaching facility in the GPS 67, the device would often crash for no reason at all. In some instances the device would go off and restart 10 to 15 seconds later
There are obviously a number of issues to be resolved and hope on behalf of the Garmin owning community that an early fix can be had and an update distributed
I look forward to hearing from you

Return to “GPSMAP 67”