Recommended MicroSD for the GPSMAP 67i?

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 67 series GPSr
Bjorn_OW

Recommended MicroSD for the GPSMAP 67i?

Unread post by Bjorn_OW »

I experience the GPSMAP 67i as picky on MicroSD cards. It seems that the 67i randomly reboots when a 32GB MicroSD exists in the memory card slot. A reboot can happen after hours of continous tracking, no navigation active. A reboot can happen when keys are entered, search/find jobs is edited, the 67i performing route calculation, when a waypoint is edited. But a reboot scenario can not be recreated at will and as such any reboot scenario is a random event. The only common denominator is that a MicroSD exists in the memory card slot and that the MicroSD card has some map data existing on it. Firmware on the 67i is now 6.60, but the behaviour has been the same way with previous fw versions as well.

These days it is hard to come by new MicroSD cards with storage less than 128GB in the shops. But I have sourced two 32GB cards and as such, they actually are MicroSDHC cards. As 32GB memory cards, they are on GARMIN's max recommended capacity. The 67i randomly reboots with either MicroSD installed. The Kingston Canvas one was loaded with openfietsmap.nl "OFM(EU2023_N_gmap).zip" representing topo map for Scandinavia, Baltics. The Verbatim one was loaded with Garmin's TOPO Norway PRO for download, part. no. 010-D1443-03. Storage utilisation of the MicroSD's is minimal.

Both MicroSD's have been left with factory formatting. Openfiets map was loaded as a memory copy/transfer on a Win11 PC. Garmin Topo PRO was loaded through the 67i with Garmin Express on a Win11 PC, the 67i connected via USB cable.

The first tested MicroSD is a Kingston Canvas Select Plus 32GB, UHS-I, U1, V10, unmarked speed class.
The second tested MicroSD is a Verbatim Pro 32GB, UHS-I, U3, V30, C10.

Are there other users apart from me that experience their 67i to randomly reboot when a MicroSD is in use?
In case, does it make any change to reformat a MicroSD in a PC to FAT32 prior to use with the 67i?

The 67i doesn't offer formatting of a memory card by it's own means, so any memory card formatting must be done on some external device.

*** please review forum posting guidelines ***
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Recommended MicroSD for the GPSMAP 67i?

Unread post by GPSrChive »

If you open GPSrChive > GPSMAP 67 > Accessories > Power and Memory, you will find a link to the SandDisk Ultra 32GB microSD card.
JungleJim

Re: Recommended MicroSD for the GPSMAP 67i?

Unread post by JungleJim »

I've been using the Kingston Canvas Select Plus 32GB memory card without any issues. No random rebooting issues whatsoever. I put satellite imagery and third party maps (talkytoaster, openfietsmap, freizeitkarte) on the SD card.

As for formatting SD cards I use the SD Memory Card Formatter tool provided by the SD Assocation, you can download it here.
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520

Return to “GPSMAP 67”